TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?

Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?

John Doe (john.doe@acme.com)
Tue, 04 Apr 2006 21:30:08 +0200

Hi,

We currently have two landlines, one totally unbundled (ie. voice is
VoIP on an ADSL line), and the other is a regular analog line, just to
receive faxes.

Since we receive very few faxes these days, we'd like to close the
second line, and receive faxes on the ADSL line.

Are there some kind of boxes to plug on an RJ11 with two outgoing RJ11
plugs, that can tell if an incoming call is voice or fax, and direct
the call to the ad hoc plug, either a handset or a fax-modem?

Thank you.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: There sure is, and I hate to keep
making embarassing plugs for Mike Sandman repeatedly in the same issue
of the Digest, but he offers in his catalog 'line sharing' devices
which do what you want. It answers the phone and if it hears a fax
tone it immediatly shifts the call over to your fax machine line. Look
at http://sandman.com at 'line sharing devices'. PAT]

Go to Next message: Ryton: "VoIP Help Request"
Go to Previous message: Thomas A. Horsley: "What do Cellphones Talk About?"
May be reply: John Reiser: "Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?"
May be reply: DLR: "Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?"
May be reply: Henry: "Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?"
May be reply: Henry: "Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?"
May be reply: John Doe: "Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?"
May be reply: Carl Navarro: "Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?"
May be reply: Joshua Putnam: "Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?"
May be reply: John Doe: "Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?"
May be reply: Henry: "Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page