TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?

Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?

John Reiser (jreiser@BitWagon.com)
Thu, 06 Apr 2006 19:45:57 -0700

> Are there some kind of boxes to plug on an RJ11 with two outgoing RJ11
> plugs, that can tell if an incoming call is voice or fax, and direct
> the call to the ad hoc plug, either a handset or a fax-modem?

Some FAX machines have this builtin, for instance some Panasonic
models. Daisy chain from line to FAX to answering machine. The FAX
lets the answering machine start every time, but the FAX intercepts
(and hangs up on the answering machine) when it recognizes the FAX
tone. If the FAX has a handset then you can answer manually, then
push the START button on the FAX as necessary. On an ADSL line,
remember to insert the filter before the first non-ADSL device.

Go to Next message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Competitive DSL (was Re: AT&T Doesn't Like My Last Name)"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: What Happened to Me"
May be in reply to: John Doe: "Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?"