TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: What do Cellphones Talk About?

What do Cellphones Talk About?

Thomas A. Horsley (tom.horsley@att.net)
Tue, 04 Apr 2006 23:48:36 GMT

When the batteries were live, my cellphone signal detector pen would
light up at least once an hour when sitting near my cellphone. I
always assumed that useful information was being exchanged with the
nearest cell tower.

But Sunday (first morning after daylight time change in USA), I looked
at my phone and it was still an hour off. It wasn't until I made a web
connection by asking it to check my account balance that the clock
finally reset to correct time.

So what the heck are all those little talks with the cell tower about if
they don't even exchange the time of day while they are at it? (My
definition of "useful" must be different than my cellphone's).

>>==>> The *Best* political site <URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/> >>==+
email: Tom.Horsley@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
<URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics <<==+

Go to Next message: John Doe: "Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?"
Go to Previous message: Paul Robinson: "USA Today Reports on Free Directory Assistance"
May be reply: Mr Joseph Singer: "Re: What do Cellphones Talk About?"
May be reply: Koos van den Hout: "Re: What do Cellphones Talk About?"
May be reply: Koos van den Hout: "Re: What do Cellphones Talk About?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page