TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?

Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?

John Doe (john.doe@acme.com)
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 00:50:21 +0200

(BTW, does someone know why Agent doesn't display replies in a
hierarchical tree? Are msgs in this ng sent to some kind of
mailing-list before being published to Usenet?)

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:08:18 -0700, Joshua Putnam <josh@phred.org>
wrote:

> 2. Some humans send all their faxes manually, and don't hit the
> "start" button until they hear the receiving fax answer and start
> squawking at them. So they try again and again, and leave hangup
> voicemail instead of sending the fax. Sometimes they can be convinced
> to change their ways, sometimes they can't.

In this case, instead of playing a fake ring tone, the box can just
display a voice message to the ilk of "If you wish to send us a fax
manually, please hit the Start button; If you wish to talk to someone,
please wait 5 seconds before we forward your call". Meanwhile, the box
listens for an incoming fax tone, and forwards the call after 5
seconds with no fax activity. What d'ya think?

> One client in particular has been sending faxes this way since they
> got their first machine in the 1970s, and they've trained the entire
> office to always send faxes on manual dial, so I get to talk to them
> more often than I otherwise would!

It's always a good thing to keep in touch with customers ;-)

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: To respond to Mr. Doe's question about
why messages and subsequent replies are not displayed in a 'tree' or
heirarchal format, it is because mail is first processed in a Digest
format, _then_ the (TELECOM) Digest output is forwarded on to Usenet
for processing in comp.dcom.telecom. PAT]

Go to Next message: Henry: "Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "More About HR 683's Attack on Free Speech"
May be in reply to: John Doe: "Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?"