TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?

Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?

John Doe (john.doe@acme.com)
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 04:15:57 +0200

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 12:38:16 +0300, henry999@eircom.net (Henry) wrote:

> And to respond to DLR's concern about the line getting 'answered by
> the wrong machine', the point is that the _box_ answers the call and
> routes it appropriately. 'Distinctive ringing' from the telephone
> company isn't required at all.

Sorry for jumping in, but how do those boxes work? Does the box pick
up the line, waits for a few seconds, and ...

- if it gets a FAX tone, it will direct the call to the fax plug
- if it gets nothing, it will forward it to the phone plug?

But if it's a voice call, will users just get silence for several
seconds, or does the box simultaneously listens to the incoming call
to tell if it's fax or voice, and also play a ring tone so, in case
it's a human calling, the caller thinks the phone is still ringing?

Thank you.

Go to Next message: Ghazan Haider: "What Type of Wireless Should I Use?"
Go to Previous message: Harold Cade: "Re: 866-849-3243"
May be in reply to: John Doe: "Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?"