TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?

Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?

John Levine (johnl@iecc.com)
26 Apr 2006 04:42:23 -0000

> Sorry for jumping in, but how do those boxes work? Does the box pick
> up the line, waits for a few seconds, and ...

> -- if it gets a FAX tone, it will direct the call to the fax plug
> -- if it gets nothing, it will forward it to the phone plug?

You got it.

> But if it's a voice call, will users just get silence for several
> seconds, or does the box simultaneously listens to the incoming call
> to tell if it's fax or voice, and also play a ring tone so, in case
> it's a human calling, the caller thinks the phone is still ringing?

Depending on the box it might play a fake ring tone, or it might start
the answering machine message. Either way, it's pretty putrid.

My suggestion is to order distinctive ringing, a second number that
rings on the same line with a different pattern. Then get a fax
machine that understands distinctive ringing (a lot of them do, check
the manual) and will only answer if it hears the ring-ring pattern for
the second number. That works great, fax and voice have separate
numbers and there's no question who's supposed to answer what call.

R's,

John

Go to Next message: Carl Navarro: "Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "AT&T Eyes New Markets for IPTV, Rolls Out Faster DSL"
May be in reply to: John Doe: "Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?"