TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: What Type of Wireless Should I Use?

What Type of Wireless Should I Use?

Ghazan Haider (ghazan.haider@gmail.com)
25 Apr 2006 21:41:41 -0700

My company has two locations, 0.92km apart as per Google earth. There
is a direct line of sight.

There are about equal number of computers in each site. Instead of
using replication, we intend to keep everything on one server and link
the sites together fast enough to become just a single LAN.

Currently theres a 15mbit connection that is always saturated and can
be troublesome ... from wavewireless. I suspect its just a power
boosted 802.11b. I'm hoping for a gigabit connection using directional
antennaes.

I've looked into Wimax and D-link's 802.11n products. Dlink does not
provide directional antennaes for 802.11n yet, and provides no data at
all on range and throughput at that range. Havent seen off-the-shelf
wimax products out there. Bell Canada wont give us fiber optic lines,
just twisted pairs. However Cisco's LRE (long reach ethernet) products
max out at 15mbit.

I'd accept 2x 500mbit or even 4x 1gbit connections since we can use
etherchannel, but the connections should not encroach on each others'
channels the way say 802.11b does (bandwidth of two channels is less
than the sum of bandwidth of each channel).

Of course it should work in harsh weather. Any suggestions? Can I have
1Gbps at less than 1km?

Go to Next message: Cellular-News: "Cellular-News for Wednesday 26th April 2006"
Go to Previous message: John Doe: "Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?"
May be reply: darktiger: "Re: What Type of Wireless Should I Use?"
May be reply: Ghazan Haider: "Re: What Type of Wireless Should I Use?"
May be reply: darktiger: "Re: What Type of Wireless Should I Use?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page