TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Bell System Photo by Ansel Adams

Bell System Photo by Ansel Adams

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
12 Apr 2006 13:32:21 -0700

In a Bell System ad in a 1950's National Geographic, the photos of a
Service Rep is credited to Ansel Adams. He was a famous photographer
noted for beautiful outdoor scenes.

The photo shows a service rep dialing on a colored phone. Seated next
to her is a man (in his 50s) in a business suit holding a slip of
paper.

Another photo shows the woman with a blind man and his guide dog; in
her leisure hours she raises money to provide such guide dogs.

The ad reads in part:

One of the nice things about the telephone business is the way it
brings us close to people.

Many, many times each day -- in your community and in coutless
communities throughout the land -- we have the opportunity and the
privilege of friendly contacts with those we serve. Sometimes they
are by telephone. Very often they are personal visits.

"What we like people to do," says (Mrs. Robert) Gaye Evans, Busn
Office Service Rep, "is to think of us as their personal
representatives at the telephone company. Whenever there's any
question about service or a bill or you're moving or needing more
service, we're here to help in every way we can."

"It's nice to have people think of the telephone company as a place
where they can always find courtesy and consideration. That's our job
and we try to be good at it."

=======================

Today regretfully there are no more offices open to the public.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Not only are there no more offices open
to the public, but many office staffs are being outsourced to India
and/or Hong Kong and the Phillipine Islands. They can hire their help
a lot cheaper in those places. Telco, like many other large corporations
prefers to hide behind the anonymity of the telephone. That topic is
worth a discussion on its own merits I think. PAT]

Go to Next message: Matt Slagle: "Russian Students Win Programming Contest"
Go to Previous message: Ron Kritzman: "Re: How to Dial a Toll-Free Number Using a Calling Card"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: Bell System Photo by Ansel Adams"
May be reply: Jim Rusling: "Re: Bell System Photo by Ansel Adams"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Bell System Photo by Ansel Adams"
May be reply: John C. Fowler: "Re: Bell System Photo by Ansel Adams"
May be reply: Garrett Wollman: "Re: Bell System Photo by Ansel Adams"
May be reply: ranck@vt.edu: "Re: Bell System Photo by Ansel Adams"
May be reply: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Bell System Photo by Ansel Adams"
May be reply: DLR: "Re: Bell System Photo by Ansel Adams"
May be reply: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Bell System Photo by Ansel Adams"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page