TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Surveillance Cameras More Common Everyday

Re: Surveillance Cameras More Common Everyday

FrazNor@gmail.com
18 Apr 2005 07:45:27 -0700

Here is one on Times Square:

http://images.earthcam.com/ec_metros/ourcams/fridays.jpg

Refresh as needed.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The one you mention, and three or four
other cameras are used at Times Square (34th and Broadway if my
memory is correct) in the program Webcam Watcher, an interesting piece
of software for Windows. Independent people, with web cams at fixed
locations, donate the output from the cameras for use by voyeurs on
the net who like looking at things. The writer of the Webcam Watcher
program has a directory of about _three thousand_ such locations all
around the world. He gives you thumbnail images of all of them on your
screen; allows you to manually choose any of them, or have the program
function like a 'scanner' (doing a big image) of one after the next,
just like a radio scanner operates, working its way to the end of the
line and starting over again. If a repretoire of three thousand images
seems a bit much to deal with, you can also select a smaller number
from the indexes of same, or the thumbnails and concentrate on just
those; for instance, those cams active in the past minute, the past
five minutes, etc. Some are in constant operation; others only snap
a picture of their surroundings every hour, etc. You select the
desired cams from the indexes of same, and make up your own list of
what to scan whenever one or more of them takes a new picture. If your
'active scan directory' is too large, the big pictures on your screen
change every second or two. If it is too small, then you can actually
look at and study a picture for a few minutes before the next image
(from some other location) comes through, like a radio scanner.

Webcam Watcher is _not_ intended as a sex thing at all. He has that
type of cam (adult) in the master index, but they are all isolated
so you can choose that kind of thing "if you like to watch" but the
majority of the cams are just 'regular' scenes, such as expressway
cams in Japan (some also from Georgia highways), parks and gardens;
a few cams are scenes of the border crossings in Texas, Arizona and
California and Detroit, MI; I have one of my weather station cam in
his directory, etc. There is one of the ships going through the Panama
Canal, some absolutely stunning cam images of mountain tops in
Alaska and Wyoming, etc, people's homes, school classrooms, about a
dozen cams in New York City (including the several in Times Square),
Chicago, San Francisco, etc. I get sort of depressed using the
program, since there are so many absolutely delicious views of
absolutely wonderful cities and sites I would dearly love to be young
enough -- and well enough -- to to visit and see in person, but I know
I will never get to see in person, a beach in Australia, or a coffee
house in Indonsia for example. If you have a cam with a public display
you welcome people viewing, _and you have the WebCam Watcher program_
consider adding the locations of these files to the directory he
updates from time to time. Just Google for 'Webcam Watcher'. He has
both free and paid copies of the software. PAT]