TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Can I Substitute a NiMH Battery for NiCd in a Cordless Phone?

Re: Can I Substitute a NiMH Battery for NiCd in a Cordless Phone?

Paul Vader (pv+usenet@pobox.com)
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:54:34 -0000

curious@nospam.com writes:

> I've heard about the dreaded "memory effect" with NiCd batteries, so
> I'm interested in replacing it with a NiMH one. Someone who is
> selling a 3.6V 1000mAH NiMH battery on Ebay claims it works with my
> phone, but will it really be safe? Wouldn't want to install a NiMH
> battery and have the house burn down.

NiCd and NiMH use very different chargers. You can not successfully charge
an NiMH battery in a phone designed only for NiCd. It's quite possible that
the new battery will vent itself if you install it. Not exactly a fire or
explosion (both of which are pretty unlikely), but your phone will
probably be wrecked by it nonetheless. *

like corkscrews.

Go to Next message: FrazNor@gmail.com: "Re: Surveillance Cameras More Common Everyday"
Go to Previous message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Can I Substitute a NiMH Battery for NiCd in a Cordless Phone?"
May be in reply to: curious@nospam.com: "Can I Substitute a NiMH Battery for NiCd in a Cordless Phone?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page