TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Internet Pioneer: VoIP is NOT Telephony

Re: Internet Pioneer: VoIP is NOT Telephony

Justin Time (a_user2000@yahoo.com)
18 Apr 2005 12:15:41 -0700

Pat wrote:

> TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: How would you then deal with 'phone
> patches', the little devices which allow VHF/UHF radios to link into
> the public phone network? Should they also be subject to the rules
> of the public switched telephone network? PAT]

I think you are barking up the wrong tree here Pat. Those little
devices that do phone patches for amateur radio operators connect to
telephones that are part of the public switched network. As such, the
group operating the patch equipment pays the local exchange company for
the monthly charges on the line. As the telephone lines are obtained
from the local exchange company, or a competitor they are subject to
all the rules and do provide ANI/ALI information to the PSAP.

The other point to remember is that phone patch equipment is normally
operated (triggered) by a licensed radio operator who presumably would
know the limitations of the connection.

Rodgers Platt

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: You don't feel that Vonage also
connects to the public switched network, and Vonage has to pay
telco for the lines they use? PAT]

Go to Next message: Henry: "Re: Getting Serious About the War on Spam"
Go to Previous message: FrazNor@gmail.com: "Re: Surveillance Cameras More Common Everyday"
May be in reply to: Jack Decker: "Internet Pioneer: VoIP is NOT Telephony"