TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cell Phone Jammer For Sale MONIX MGB-1S

Re: Cell Phone Jammer For Sale MONIX MGB-1S

Robert Bonomi (bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com)
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:02:30 -0000

In article <telecom24.134.7@telecom-digest.org>, TELECOM Digest
Editor noted:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Other than the fact that she apparently
> was not able to hook herself up to the network, I wonder how the
> school would know what was or wasn't there. In other words, if she now
> were to open the computer and install the original card in there
> instead, how would the school ever find out, or do they search dorm
> rooms looking for contraband hardware, etc? PAT]

Ignorance in action. Specific ranges of Ethernet addresses are
assigned to given manufacturers. Which manufacturer "owns" which
range is _public_data_.

Any device residing on the same LAN segment that can "see" Ethernet
packets from a given machine can tell which brand of NIC is in that
box.

All Ethernet cards on a LAN are required to have a _unique_ Ethernet
address. So, manufacturers "build in" the uniqueness.

On some systems, with some cards, you can over-ride the built-in
Ethernet address, and tell it to use an Ethernet address you specify.
This is not an option under MS-Windows.

A _lot_ of schools require you to 'register' your computer (actually
the NIC) with the institution before you can use it on the school
network. And even then it will work *only* from your dorm room. The
network infrastructure is built around 'secure' switches, and only
accepts packets from a "known" Ethernet address on any given port.

This does wonders for being able to track down the perpetrator when,
for example, one student tries hacking other student machines.

Go to Next message: Fred Atkinson: "Re: Cell Phone Jammer For Sale MONIX MGB-1S"
Go to Previous message: Doug Krause: "Re: Cell Phone Jammer For Sale MONIX MGB-1S"
May be in reply to: donestuardo@yahoo.com: "Cell Phone Jammer For Sale MONIX MGB-1S"