TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Access of Calling Card Dial in Number From Prepaid Cellular

Access of Calling Card Dial in Number From Prepaid Cellular

Marek Tomczyk (Marek.Tomczyk@stud.uni-karlsruhe.de)
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:43:32 +0100

Hi,

I'm posting this for a friend (Juergen). Find his contact address at
the bottom of this post. Thanks.

Marek

===========

Hi Telecom Digest,

This October I stayed three weeks in the bay area. I like it a lot,
and this time I even had a GSM1900 (Nokia 6100) phone from my
German provider T-Mobile with me.

The phone worked fine, but I never ever used it to place phone
calls home to Germany and I never ever answered any incoming call.

Why? Quite simple, the charges for outgoing and esspecially inbound
calls are outrageous. Just imagine to pay $1.70 for incoming calls
per minute!!!

So I have decided now to get an American mobile phone on my next
trip to the USA.

I like the offer of AT&T Wireless very much as it provides a long
validity of one year for balances starting at $100. Domestic calling
with the Free2Go service is very reasonable priced, but calling
foreign countries is still expensive.

So the idea is to use a calling card service for this matter. The AT&T
documents say that prepaid calling card service is not possible with
Free2Go. Besides this AT&T says in its terms that certain numbers can
be blocked if "abuse" to the network happens.

Is calling a local dial in number from a mobile phone in America, in
particular from a free2Go phone, abusive usage of the network?

Do you know if calling of local (regular) dial in number from American,
in particular prepaid aka "pay as you go" services is possible?

Can such providers block access to those numbers?

Unfortunately I could not find definitive information about this issue
on the web.

Thanks,

Juergen-Usenet@web.de

Go to Next message: Mike Sutter: "Vonage Phone Adapter"
Go to Previous message: SecQrilious: "Transforming Existing Wireless Intelligence Systems to 21st Century"
May be reply: Marcus Didius Falco: "Re: Access of Calling Card Dial in Number From Prepaid Cellular"
May be reply: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: Access of Calling Card Dial in Number From Prepaid Cellular"
May be reply: Joseph: "Re: Access of Calling Card Dial in Number From Prepaid Cellular"
May be reply: Earl F. Parrish: "Re: Access of Calling Card Dial in Number From Prepaid Cellular"
May be reply: Mark Crispin: "Re: Access of Calling Card Dial in Number From Prepaid Cellular"
May be reply: hbr: "Re: Access of Calling Card Dial in Number From Prepaid Cellular"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page