TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: What do Cellphones Talk About?

Re: What do Cellphones Talk About?

Mr Joseph Singer (joeofseattle@yahoo.com)
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 09:25:44 -0700 (PDT)

tom.horsley@att.net (Thomas A. Horsley) Tue, 04 Apr 2006 23:48:36 GMT
wrote:

> But Sunday (first morning after daylight time change in USA), I looked
> at my phone and it was still an hour off. It wasn't until I made a web
> connection by asking it to check my account balance that the clock
> finally reset to correct time.

> So what the heck are all those little talks with the cell tower
> about if they don't even exchange the time of day while they are at
> it? (My definition of "useful" must be different than my
> cellphone's).

It depends on the cellphone and what technology it uses. If it was a
CDMA phone the time is part of the spec so it will always be
up-to-date.

GSM systems can and often do have a system called "NITZ" (Network
Information Time Zone) which will automatically update the time and
date. Not all operators use it and also not all handsets support the
standard since it's an optional specification in GSM.

Go to Next message: Associated Press News Wire: "Judge Okays AOL Class Action Settlement"
Go to Previous message: SD: "Re: Alcatel, Lucent to Merge"
May be in reply to: Thomas A. Horsley: "What do Cellphones Talk About?"