TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Holiday Observances Phone Rates (was Re: Kennedy)

Re: Holiday Observances Phone Rates (was Re: Kennedy)

Seth Breidbart (sethb@panix.com)
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 05:43:29 UTC

In article <telecom24.543.7@telecom-digest.org>, Anthony Bellanga
<anthonybellanga@notchur.biz> wrote:

>> Lisa Hancock <hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote:

>>> Nowadays employers seem a lot tighter and grant only the major day
>>> off. Many retailers are open on holidays, even Thanksgiving,
>>> Christmas, and New Years, and expect people to work.

> I guess it depends on who you work for or what type of business or
> work you do. And aren't there certain labor laws requiring time and a
> half or similar for (non-union) employees who have to work on certain
> declared *National* (not "just" Federal) Holidays such as
> Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Independence Day, and maybe Labor
> Day? (the original "big five", which does not include Memorial Day,
> Columbus Day, Veterans' Day, Presidents' Day (which was originally
> known as George Washington's Birthday), and in more recent years mlk
> day).

According to the "Your Rights Under the Fair Labor Standards Act"
poster (as posted in every workplace), you get time and a half after
40 hours worked in a week. It doesn't say anything about holidays.

Seth

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Not only for more than 40 hours in
one week, but also more than 8 hours in one day. PAT]

Go to Next message: Seth Breidbart: "Re: Who Owns the Music?"
Go to Previous message: Ron Kritzman: "Re: Hanging up on the New Ma Bell"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Holiday Observances Phone Rates (was Re: Kennedy)"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page