TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Verizon POTS

Re: Verizon POTS

Michael Chance (mchance@swbell.net)
Wed, 09 Nov 2005 11:20:16 GMT

userid@camsul.example.invalid says:

> Joe wrote:

>> I get a dial tone. However, when I dial a number, I get a message
>> saying to call Verizon if I want telephone service.

> That's known as soft dial tone. You can call 911 (and maybe the
> telco's business office), but nothing else. It's required in many
> places, for emergency situations. It also lets you know that the
> phone line is electrically connected to the CO.

Didn't know that Verizon still had soft dial tone in places, but if
that's what it is, then you've got completely wired service already in
place. No inside central office wiring to do, no outside or customer
location wiring needed, so the only thing is to update all the
provisioning and billing databases and set the central office switch to
show the new service, all done with software. Should take no more than
a couple of hours, max.

Michael Chance

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Verizon POTS"
Go to Previous message: Michael Muderick: "Dimension"
May be in reply to: Joe: "Verizon POTS"