TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband

Re: Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband

Jim Haynes (haynes@alumni.uark.edu)
Sat, 08 Oct 2005 01:30:57 GMT

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Thanks for that good explanation.

> it was interesting that he was able to 'communicate by voice' over
> those wires which served as our burglar alarm system; he said it was

I knew some guys in the Chicago suburbs circa 1965 who had their own
private telephone system among them. They had learned it was possible
to lease burglar alarm lines very cheaply from the telephone company;
and in fact when you leased one you got an ordinary wire pair that
worked just fine at voice frequencies. So that was what they used for
their distribution. Eventually the phone company got onto what they
were doing and connected large capacitors across the pairs, which put
an end to their scheme.

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

Go to Next message: DevilsPGD: "Re: Vonage and the 500 Minute Plan"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: United States Says No! Internet is Ours!"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband"