TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: United States Says No! Internet is Ours!

Re: United States Says No! Internet is Ours!

John Levine (johnl@iecc.com)
7 Oct 2005 23:49:31 -0000

> I think the problem with doing that is that the root servers hold a
> database of top level domain servers. It doesn't change rapidly, but
> it does change. Unless you could get a feed of the official file
> from IANA, ...

It's easy to get a feed of the root zone. Fill out a form from
Verisign, fax it back, and you too can FTP a copy from their server
whenever you want. BTDTGTZF

If you wanted to run your own root with a copy of the same data, you
could. But there's no point, since the real roots work just fine.

R's,

John

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But although the 'real roots' work just
fine, as you note, someone starting their own competing root server
could bypass all the silly requirements of things like ICANN couldn't
he? In addition to copying all the data now in use, he could also
start his own domains, could he not? He could start a domain for
example called '.abracadabra' or whatever name and it would not be
subject to any rules but his own. Or am I missing something here?
Maybe he would then sell re-direction and aliases from his '.domain'
and point them to the existing .com and .net as '.tf' does now. PAT]

Go to Next message: Jim Haynes: "Re: Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband"
Go to Previous message: anon1@sci.sci: "Device That Interfaces Between Phone/CallerID and Serial Port?"
May be in reply to: Bradley S. Klapper: "United States Says No! Internet is Ours!"