TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Western Electric - Major Works - Status Today?

Re: Western Electric - Major Works - Status Today?

Arthur Kamlet (kamlet@panix.com)
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 02:50:27 +0000 (UTC)

<hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote:

> The Western Electric Co, manfuacturing arm of the Bell System, had
> three large factory complexes ("works") in Chicago (Hawthorne), Kearny
> NJ, and Baltimore (Breezy Pt). I get the impression all three are
> long closed up, if the buildings even exist?

> W/E also built some newer facilities to make computer components for
> modern gear, such as in Allentown PA. I take it today Lucent
> (successor to W/E) uses those places, though I presume Lucent is far,
> far smaller than W/E. I also recall W/E having a modern office
> building in Newark NJ (near the train station) in the mid 1980s, and I
> wonder if that is in use by Lucent today.

> FWIW, in W/E's early days, they made relays for Hollerith's tabulating
> machines. Hollerith's outfit became IBM.

Hawthorne, site of the Hawthorne Study of providing feedback to relay
winders, closed quite a few years ago.

Kearney was sinking into the bay, and at least one major Kearny
building had been closed while others were still sinking. It was sold
quite a while ago -- before Lucent was spun off from AT&T I believe.

I live in Columbus, where the building has been sold and split into
three parts -- a hospital, a home builder, and a commercial site. But
about 1000 Lucent employees still occupy rental space there.

Many other large Works and other plants have been sold.

Art Kamlet ArtKamlet @ AOL.com Columbus OH K2PZH

Go to Next message: Kenneth P. Stox: "Re: Western Electric - Major Works - Status Today?"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "Governors Balk at New US License Rules / Warn of Higher Costs"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Western Electric - Major Works - Status Today?"