TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Western Electric - Major Works - Status Today?

Western Electric - Major Works - Status Today?

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
18 Jul 2005 12:39:17 -0700

The Western Electric Co, manfuacturing arm of the Bell System, had
three large factory complexes ("works") in Chicago (Hawthorne), Kearny
NJ, and Baltimore (Breezy Pt). I get the impression all three are
long closed up, if the buildings even exist?

W/E also built some newer facilities to make computer components for
modern gear, such as in Allentown PA. I take it today Lucent
(successor to W/E) uses those places, though I presume Lucent is far,
far smaller than W/E. I also recall W/E having a modern office
building in Newark NJ (near the train station) in the mid 1980s, and I
wonder if that is in use by Lucent today.

FWIW, in W/E's early days, they made relays for Hollerith's tabulating
machines. Hollerith's outfit became IBM.

[public replies please]

Go to Next message: justlearning1@hotmail.com: "Installation for ESI S-Class"
Go to Previous message: Indianapolis Business Journal: "Cable Operator to Battle Ma Bell For Downtown Customers"
May be reply: Eric Tappert: "Re: Western Electric - Major Works - Status Today?"
May be reply: Arthur Kamlet: "Re: Western Electric - Major Works - Status Today?"
May be reply: Kenneth P. Stox: "Re: Western Electric - Major Works - Status Today?"
May be reply: Jim Millick: "Re: Western Electric - Major Works - Status Today?"
May be reply: Jim Millick: "Re: Western Electric - Major Works - Status Today?"
May be reply: Jim Haynes: "Re: Western Electric - Major Works - Status Today?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page