TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Non-Bell ESS?

Re: Non-Bell ESS?

Joseph (JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com)
Wed, 06 Jul 2005 21:00:54 -0700

On 6 Jul 2005 10:59:05 -0700, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> The Bell System put its first test call through a laboratory
> Electronic Switching System in 1958 and had a prototype system in
> public service in the early 1960s.

> Would anyone know when other telephone companies, either in the
> U.S. or abroad, developed and implemented their own ESS? For
> instance, when did Automatic Electric put one in service?

Electronic switching systems were being installed in the late sixties
and into the seventies. Bell System used Western Electric #1ESS, GTE
used Automatic Electric #1EAX and #2EAX. North Electric
(independents) used NXUN2 IIRC. Probably Stromberg-Carlson had
something going as well (XY?) I'd guess that Northern Electric (now
Nortel) probably manufactured #1ESS as well prior to their making DMS
digital switches.

More information:
http://www.dmine.com/phworld/network/office/.htm#analog

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: Bell Usage of IBM Computers For Switching"
Go to Previous message: Alan Burkitt-Gray: "Re: Non-Bell ESS?"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Non-Bell ESS?"