TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Non-Bell ESS?

Re: Non-Bell ESS?

Alan Burkitt-Gray (alan@withheld_on_request)
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 21:39:09 +0100

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com asked: "Would anyone know when other telephone
companies, either in the U.S. or abroad, developed and implemented
their own ESS? For instance, when did Automatic Electric put one in
service?"

See BT's online museum, Connected Earth .

http://www.connected-earth.com/Galleries/Frombuttonstobytes/Intothedigitaler
a/Anelectronicfuture/

BT's ancestor, the British Post Office, tried and failed in 1962 with
a switch at Highgate Wood, north London: "The main problem was digital
electronics 'crosstalking' with switch contact points that were still
working in analogue mode. This meant, for example, that sometimes the
exchange systems would ring numbers, seemingly of their own
volition ... "

It put a successful TXE2 reed relay exchange at Ambergate, Derbyshire,
in 1966, and then inaugurated another switch, at Empress in west
London, claimed to be the first in the world to switch PCM signals
from one group of lines to another in digital form.

Alan Burkitt-Gray
Editor, Global Telecoms Business magazine
www.globaltelecomsbusiness.com
aburkitt@euromoneyplc.com

(PAT - please don't use my personal email address, from which I'm sending
this.)

Go to Next message: Joseph: "Re: Non-Bell ESS?"
Go to Previous message: Diamond Dave: "Re: Non-Bell ESS?"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Non-Bell ESS?"