TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Non-Bell ESS?

Re: Non-Bell ESS?

Diamond Dave (dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com)
Thu, 07 Jul 2005 05:22:47 -0400

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I know from my personal experience that
> Illinois Bell had ESS in the Wabash office in downtown Chicago in
> 1974, along with the Superior office on the near north side the same
> year. But I think they were just the first editions or versions of
> that type of switch. PAT]

The Western Electric #1ESS was invented in 1965, with the upgrade
#1AESS invented in 1976. These were analog switches with computer
control (and in my opinion, glorified crossbar switches with reed
relays).

Others, as I've mentioned before, came out with their fully digital
switches before Western Electric came out with their fully digital end
office switch (the #5 ESS) in 1982.

Dave Perrussel
Webmaster - Telephone World
http://www.dmine.com/phworld

Go to Next message: Tim@Backhome.org: "Re: Non-Bell ESS?"
Go to Previous message: Telecom dailyLead from USTA: "Verizon, TBS Sign Carriage Deal"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Non-Bell ESS?"