TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Forwarding SMS Messages

Re: Forwarding SMS Messages

B.M. Wright (bmwright@xmission.com)
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 22:33:41 UTC

Chris Holst <cdh@aquick.org> wrote:

> We'd like to have our people have only one number on their card ... so
> is it possible to program a PBX to process and forward SMS data sent
> on to the associated cell phone? This appears to the sticking point.
> SMS is useful, and we'd not like to miss out on it to implement this
> system if we don't have to.

Germany (almost entirely ISDN now) is the only place that I have heard
of which has landlines that can receive SMS. It's unfortunate, there
are many times when I've wanted the same thing, haven't ever found it.
I believe the SMS routing in the US is extra convoluted, and less than
reliable, compared to most countries which have been on GSM for years.
Maybe someone familiar with how it's done can elaborate.

One thing I've wondered is how, since our mobile numbers can not be
differentiated by prefix, they determine the number can receive the SMS.
It may be a database lookup somewhere, but, then again maybe they just
attempt to send it regardless of whether or not it is a mobile?

Go to Next message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Known Spam Sites"
Go to Previous message: Mark Crispin: "Re: Can You Disable Text Messaging?"
May be in reply to: Chris Holst: "Forwarding SMS Messages"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page