TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Vonage Improvement: No More Dial 1+

Re: Vonage Improvement: No More Dial 1+

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Wed, 18 May 2005 17:40:15 -0400

In article <telecom24.218.3@telecom-digest.org>, john@katy.com says:

> Recently ordered a new Vonage line. The new line does not require a "1"
> prefix.

> I was spending $50 per new line for a device that inserted the 1. This
> is Great news!

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Since there is no price differential
> on Vonage in most cases (I still have a 500 minute limited account
> but most users do not) the '1' is pointless and a waste of time.
> _Everything_ is ten digits; even locally, and the price is the same
> no matter what. However, some people do not know that Vonage can also
> be _seven digits_ with area code (where the box was installed, or
> 'home area') assumed. Like telco, if nothing is dialed after seven
> digits, then it sits there for a few seconds to time out, and deals
> with what it got. PAT]

The problem is that they're transmitting caller ID with a 1, so when you
go to re-dial a number from CLID guess what happens.

They are having problems, not doubt about it. Today I come home, pick
up the phone and get stutter tone. Ok, check voice mail. No
connection. Hmm, try dialing my number from my cell and I get "Your
call cannot be completed as dialed..."

What the hell! It appears to be working now but during this time I
could not even access my web account. It looks like a Vonage server
took a hit.

Go to Next message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?"
Go to Previous message: Dean M.: "Re: Vonage Improvement: No More Dial 1+"
May be in reply to: John Schmerold: "Vonage Improvement: No More Dial 1+"