TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: New Spam Scam Exploits Pope's Death

New Spam Scam Exploits Pope's Death

lisa_minter2001@yahoo.com
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 03:09:24 -0400

by Sharon Gaudin

http://www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/3497551

A new spam campaign is exploiting people's interest in and grief over
the death of Pope John Paul II.

The spam claims to offer readers a free collection of books written by
the late pope. The email tells users to click on a link to receive the
gift, but the link actually takes them to a Web site offering 'free
money-making advice'.

"This is absolutely slimy," says Carole Theriault, a security
consultant with Sophos, Inc., an anti-virus and anti-spam company with
U.S. headquarters in Lynnfield, Mass. "We started seeing this scam
over the weekend, soon after the pope's funeral ... They're using the
pope's name with all the news surrounding his death and the emotional
investment to fool people."

Pope John Paul II's funeral was held Friday, April 8.

Theriault says this is just the latest example of spammers using
current headlines and emotional topics to lure people in.

"We're seeing an increasing amount of spam using current events to get
into people's inboxes," she says. "They're stealing headlines from CNN
to try to bypass simple spam filters ... It's tasteless. People don't
like being mislead. If they want a book on Pope John Paul II, they
don't want to be misdirected to a site about money-making secrets."

Theriault notes that similar spam campaigns were launched soon after
the Dec. 26 tsunami crisis.

"Spammers are prepared to plumb the depths in their attempt to get
Internet users to buy their goods or services," adds Graham Cluley,
senior technology consultant for Sophos. "The pope's death has been
mourned by millions around the world, yet for the spammers it's just
another opportunity to sell their unwanted wares."

Theriault says she doesn't think this particular campaign will be a
long-lasting one.

"We expect this particular spam campaign to die out as the stories
about the pope's death and funeral trickle from our news bulletins,"
she says. "However, we can be sure that spammers will try and
capitalise on the next world event, be it a disaster or a triumph."

NOTE: For more telecom/internet/networking/computer news from the
daily media, check out our feature 'Telecom Digest Extra' each day at
http://telecom-digest.org/td-extra/more-news.html . Hundreds of new
articles daily.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Well, all these complainers should
read the advice given by our resident anti-spam expert, Robert Bonomi
who would tell them (1) any real man would know how to get his
computer to do his bidding if only they would get rid of the
Microsoft stuff on it and (2) if they really can't hack it, then
give up the computer and the net totally. Sounds like a good deal to
me. PAT]

Go to Next message: Jack Decker: "Vonage to FCC: Qwest is Playing Nice, so SBC Should, Too"
Go to Previous message: TELECOM Digest Editor: "It Happened Again"
May be reply: Steve Sobol: "Re: New Spam Scam Exploits Pope's Death"
May be reply: Paul Vader: "Re: New Spam Scam Exploits Pope's Death"
May be reply: Steve Sobol: "Re: New Spam Scam Exploits Pope's Death"
May be reply: Paul Vader: "Re: New Spam Scam Exploits Pope's Death"
May be reply: Paul Vader: "Re: New Spam Scam Exploits Pope's Death"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page