TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'

Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'

No Spam (nospam@resi.com)
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:47:30 -0400

Lisa Hancock <hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote to say:

(stuff snipped)

> Earlier in this newsgroup it was reported that mass market calls were
> originating out of VOIP lines and giving nonsensical caller id numbers
> like 111-111-1111. (I got such marketing calls during the political
> campaign -- the Dems were so desperate they called repeatedly all day
> long with recorded pitches. It was a nightmare.) Anyway, maybe
> hackers on VOIP are able to slur callerID. It's strange that a number
> 555-1212 would be used since that's directory assistance, and I can't
> help but wonder the originator purposely set that number up to be
> seen. That is troubling.

Funny; all of the (pre recorded) calls I got (except for one) were
from George W Bush, Laura Bush, or the local Republican candidates.
(I did get one call from the Dems, but they identified themselves as
the state office of the party.). The calls I got from the Dems gave
their valid phone number in Washington DC, but the calls from the
Republicans showed callerID of either 000-000-0000, or restricted.
Too bad that the politicians exempted themselves from the do not call
list.

I had opportunity to visit local offices of both parties during the
2004 campaign, and both of them were using VoIP services provided via
a Lynksys wireless router (I could see phone cords running from the
Linksys box to the cheap phones on the conference tables), but I don't
know provider they were using.

Joshua

(my opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer, but
sometimes we agree.)

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: My experiences were rather similar to
yours. In addition to a call from George and Laura, a call came from
a Kansas Republican. And recall please, the two documented examples of
telephone mischief we heard about (and reported here in the Digest)
were Republicans playing tricks on Democrats. PAT]

Go to Next message: LB@notmine.com: "Re: Google Searching - Advanced"
Go to Previous message: T. Sean Weintz: "Re: Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'"
May be reply: Steve Sobol: "Re: Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'"
May be reply: Anthony Bellanga: "Re: Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'"
May be reply: Joseph: "Re: Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'"
May be reply: Jon Gauthier: "Re: Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'"
May be reply: T. Sean Weintz: "Re: Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'"
May be reply: Lisa Hancock: "Re: Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'"
May be reply: T. Sean Weintz: "Re: Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'"
May be reply: spam trap: "Re: Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page