TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'

Re: Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'

T. Sean Weintz (strap@hanh-ct.org)
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:25:02 -0400

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> Earlier in this newsgroup it was reported that mass market calls were
> originating out of VOIP lines and giving nonsensical caller id numbers
> like 111-111-1111. (I got such marketing calls during the political
> campaign -- the Dems were so desperate they called repeatedly all day
> long with recorded pitches. It was a nightmare.) Anyway, maybe
> hackers on VOIP are able to slur callerID. It's strange that a number
> 555-1212 would be used since that's directory assistance, and I can't
> help but wonder the originator purposely set that number up to be
> seen. That is troubling.

Don't need VOIP to spoof caller ID at all. a standard ISDN PRI line,
which most outbound call centers have, can do it easily.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But Lisa just asked a question; she
wants an explanation of an ISDN PRI line. PAT]

Go to Next message: No Spam: "Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'"
Go to Previous message: Lisa Hancock: "Re: Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'"
May be in reply to: No Spam: "Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'"