TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'

Re: Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'

T. Sean Weintz (strap@hanh-ct.org)
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:11:33 -0400

Dale Showers wrote:

> Dear Mr. Townson:

> I have been receiving calls on my cell phone and the caller id is
> 15555551212 but there is no one on the phone when I pick up. I try to
> call back to that number and it is not a good number. There is no
> area code of 555. If any one knows what this and how to stop it
> please let me know at mindlesspugs@yahoo.com .

> Thank you very much!

> Dale

This is almost definitely a scofflaw telemarketer calling from a PRI
line. By using a PRI line, can set the caller ID to be whatever he wants.

You answer and get no-one on the other end because he is using a
predictive dialer -- a computer dials the numbers, and connects the calls
to people in the telemarketing call center only when the call is
answered on your end. If no one is available in the call center to take
the call, when you answer you get the classic "no one there when I
answer" effect -- you just hear dead air.

Unfortunately, short of having the cell provider put a trap on the line,
you are NOT going to be able to track this down.

Go to Next message: Marcus Didius Falco: "MCI Keeps Ownership Cap"
Go to Previous message: Jon Gauthier: "Re: Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'"
May be in reply to: No Spam: "Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'"