TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Why Must a Cordless Phone be Away From Electronic Devices?

Re: Why Must a Cordless Phone be Away From Electronic Devices?

Wesrock@aol.com
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:48:23 EDT

In a message dated Tue, 12 Apr 2005 02:02:56 -0400, curious@nospam.com
writes:

> I just got a 900 MHz DSS cordless phone, and I had the perfect spot
> for it, right on top of my tower computer case. But then I noticed
> that the manual says that the base unit must be placed away from all
> electronic equipment, including PCs, stereos, TVs, and microwaves.
> What is the reasoning for this? Could the magnetic fields generated
> by the speakers in the phone cause any problems?

It will do no harm to the computer. But the other electronic
equipment may interfere with the cordless phone transmission and
reception.

We had a 900 mHz cordless that sat right under a TV and had no
problem. But when it finally gave up the ghost we replaced it with
another cordless, which turned out to be 2.4 gHz. We then found out
that 2.4 gHz is much more seriously affected to the point that it was
unusable. We returned it, since that was exactly where we wanted the
cordless.

It is reported than 4.8 gHz is even more badly impaired by other
electronic equipment.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

Go to Next message: Joseph: "Re: Verizon Wireless Expands Availability of Ringback Tones;"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Why Must a Cordless Phone be Away From Electronic Devices?"
May be in reply to: Alan Burkitt-Gray: "Why Must a Cordless Phone be Away From Electronic Devices?"