TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cell Phone Jammer For Sale MONIX MGB-1S

Re: Cell Phone Jammer For Sale MONIX MGB-1S

T. Sean Weintz (strap@hanh-ct.org)
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:16:25 -0500

TELECOM Digest Editor noted in response to Fred Atkinson:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Other than the fact that she apparently
> was not able to hook herself up to the network, I wonder how the
> school would know what was or wasn't there. In other words, if she now
> were to open the computer and install the original card in there
> instead, how would the school ever find out, or do they search dorm
> rooms looking for contraband hardware, etc? PAT]

Since the beginning octects of the MAC address of an ethernet card
identify who the manufacturer of the card is, and all ethernet switches
maintain a database of what mac addresses are plugged in to what ports;
if one is using manages switches it is a trivial task to locate where
network cards of a particular brand are plugged into the network.

It's also quite easy on some switches to specify a range of MAC
addresses that are allowed to use particular ports. So you can set that
range to be only cards whose MAC address identify them as being made by
3com, and lock out everything else.

Of course most network card drivers will allow you to overide the
factory coded mac address on your card, which could be used by an
ethernet saavy personm to overide the security methods I describe
above ...

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: Cell Phone Jammer For Sale MONIX MGB-1S"
Go to Previous message: wondering: "LNP Transfer From McLeodUSA to Vonage"
May be in reply to: donestuardo@yahoo.com: "Cell Phone Jammer For Sale MONIX MGB-1S"