TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: New Long Range Cordless Phones?

Re: New Long Range Cordless Phones?

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:40:06 -0500

In article <telecom24.126.10@telecom-digest.org>, newsgroups@dave!!!
christense!!n.o!!!r!!!g says:

> I saw a link earlier for this on Slash Dot. Its a cordless phone that
> supposedly works 100km from the base station (under ideal conditions).

> http://www.goodbyelongdistance.com/catalog/item/1441280/975984.htm

> Other then the obvious potential for grief from the FCC, anyone else
> have any thoughts?

> I'm living in a rural Alaskan town and traditional cell service is
> spotty to none, even with an old bag phone and roof antenna so I was
> thinking that this could be an interesting approach to local mobile
> phone service.

I highly doubt that it is legal in the U.S. However, modifying your
802.11 gear and using say a PalmOS type machine with an 802.11 card
you could probably cobble together a VoIP solution that has a linear
range of 11 miles or so, depending on what type and pattern of
radiator you decide to use.

From what I've read about these units they operate in the amateur
radio band so I take sort of strong offense to that.

Go to Next message: John Bartley: "Re: New Long Range Cordless Phones"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
May be in reply to: Dave: "New Long Range Cordless Phones?"