TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: New Long Range Cordless Phones

Re: New Long Range Cordless Phones

John Bartley (johnbartley@email.com)
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:31:58 -0800

> From: Dave <newsgroups@dave!!!christense!!n.o!!!r!!!g>
> Subject: New Long Range Cordless Phones?
> Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:46:17 -0900

> I saw a link earlier for this on Slash Dot. Its a cordless phone that
> supposedly works 100km from the base station (under ideal conditions).

> http://www.goodbyelongdistance.com/catalog/item/1441280/975984.htm

> Other then the obvious potential for grief from the FCC, anyone else
> have any thoughts?

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:10:07 -0500, Michael Quinn replied:

> Dave,

> I'm pretty sure these are illegal in the US&P(ossessions). One of the
> issues was interference with Air Traffic Control communications
> systems, as I recall. Someone on the list may be able to cite chapter
> and verse from US Code, or FCC regs. I may have saved a Navy
> Department spectrum management brief on the subject; if so, I'll
> forward off net.

> Regards,

> Mike

From the Amateur Radio Newsline report #1399 last year:

ENFORCEMENT: EATERY FINED $10,000 FOR USING 2 METERS Rem ember the
case of Best Wok? The New Jersey restaraunt that was warned b y the
FCC to stop using an illegal high power 2 meter cordless telephone to
coordinate deliveries but which continued to do so anyhow? Well, that
decision by the store manager is going to cost the company $10,0 00.
Thats the amount of the fine that the FCC has levvied against Best Wor
k for transmitting on 145.8376 MHz without Commission authorization.
The r esteraunt was given the customary 30 days to pay up or to file
an appeal. (FCC)

And, from , a Miami dealer was fined $7,000 for selling those kinds of
cordless phones.

Some hams ('observers') volunteer to track misuse, triangulate where
it's from, and report it to the local FCC field office or field
engineer. It's a well-respected role within the amateur radio
community.

So, just because it's on Slashdot don't mean you can sell it
Stateside.

Go to Next message: Neal McLain: "Re: What happened to Channel 1?"
Go to Previous message: Tony P.: "Re: New Long Range Cordless Phones?"
May be in reply to: Michael Quinn: "New Long Range Cordless Phones"