TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: What Happened To Channel 1

Re: What Happened To Channel 1

Paul Coxwell (paulcoxwell@tiscali.co.uk)
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:50:02 -0000

Joe Morris <jcmorris@mitre.org> wrote:

> [*] I get a number of questions at the office when my wallpaper changer
> pops up with the original WDSU-TV test pattern. It makes me feel old when
> I turn out to be the only person there who remembers when test patterns
> were routinely incorporated into the station ID slides ...

Any chance of a copy of that? It would be interesting to see.

You can find many examples of old (and not-so-old) test patterns and
idents for British TV here:

http://www.meldrum.co.uk/mhp/

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I seem to recall when I was about five
> years old my parents had a television set with a tiny little screen
> which was maybe two or three inches round. And it had a _huge_
> magnifying glass attached to the front of it. PAT]

I never saw it, but my father built a set in the late 1940s/early 1950s
using a VCR97 tube, which, if I recall correctly, was about 5 inches.

The VCR97 had been a very common CRT in radar sets and was available
cheaply as government surplus at the time. Of course, the resulting
monochrome picture would have been green!

- Paul.

Go to Next message: Steve Watt: "Re: Walkie Talkie"
Go to Previous message: Garrett Wollman: "Re: What Happened to FM Channels 1-199?"
May be in reply to: davisdynasty83: "What Happened To Channel 1"