TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: What Happened To Channel 1

Re: What Happened To Channel 1

Dave VanHorn (dvanhorn@dvanhorn.org)
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:18:08 -0500

> There was such a huge amount of misinformation running around
> among the CBers. I couldn't believe some of the things they would say
> and I can't imagine where they were getting information like that.

Whenever I need some comic releif, I check out the CB section of the
local truck stop.

BTW: Did anyone notice the latest trend in antennas? You angle them
forward about 45 degrees. These are the rigid ones that might bend
back five degrees in the wind, if that much.

I haven't yet figured out what they think they are accomplishing.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Well, I have heard that horizonal
polarization (that is, when an antenna is at a 90 degree angle) offers
better transmission and reception. The stuff transmitted 'vertically'
(which is how most antennas are mounted) does not get in the way as
'interference' that much. I think there is a difference if you are
radiating a 'full wave' or a 'half-wave' also. It has been a _long time_
since I studied much about citizen's band radio, but I do know that
the exact length and placement of a _transmitting_ antenna is very
critical in getting out a good signal. I do know that radio waves
travel at approximatly the speed of light (186,000 miles per second)
and the antenna has to be 'cut' in such a way as to accomodate that
formula. An 'eleven meter' band transmission (CB radio) therefore has
to have ideally an antenna about 14 feet long for a 'full wave' or
about 8 feet long for a 5/8 wave, which is considered acceptable. When
the amount of space is not sufficient, then the radio can be 'tricked'
by loading the antenna with coils. I have forgotten so much of that
stuff, it really pains me. Anyway, horizonal polarization is supposed
to have its good points. PAT]

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Tracking Down a Harassing Caller Number?"
Go to Previous message: DevilsPGD: "Re: Level 3 Withdraws Request for VoIP Fee Ruling"
May be in reply to: davisdynasty83: "What Happened To Channel 1"