TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: GSM Cell Density in Metropolitan Areas

Re: GSM Cell Density in Metropolitan Areas

jared (jared@nospam.au)
Wed, 02 Mar 2005 20:45:27 -0700

>> What is the average (or range) value for GSM cell (i.e. base station,
>> antenna, ..) density in metropolitan areas? (e.g. in cities like
>> London, Paris, Rome.)

> Ow? I can imagine that the cell phone company doesn't want to give a
> map if I ask nicely, but with some simple AT commands I can make my
> phone show the current cell number and alert me when it changes. Add a
> gps unit, some logging software and I can map their cell numbers. I've
> been playing with this, see http://idefix.net/~koos/gsmgps.html

> In my country (the Netherlands) I can find the actual location by
> checking the register of antenna licenses.

A few years ago, using a Nokia mobile phone and Telstra GSM, I watched the
display of the cell name riding a train outbound from Melbourne CBD. It
was interesting that the cell name sometimes matched the suburb through
which the train was going but would then revert to Melbourne CBD.

For Australia the ACA radiocommunictions database gives the street
addresses in urban areas. www.aca.gov.au

Go to Next message: Dean: "Re: 2002220000 Given as Caller ID"
Go to Previous message: John Bartley: "Re: GSM Cell Density in Metropolitan Areas"
May be in reply to: enrico: "GSM Cell Density in Metropolitan Areas"