TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: GSM Cell Density in Metropolitan Areas

Re: GSM Cell Density in Metropolitan Areas

John Bartley (johnbartley@email.com)
Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:34:45 -0800

> enrico <enrico_groups@libero.it> wrote:

>> What is the average (or range) value for GSM cell (i.e. base station,
>> antenna, ..) density in metropolitan areas? (e.g. in cities like
>> London, Paris, Rome.)

>> Is there any publicly available information about the topic?

>> Please note that I am *not* asking for actual base station location,
>> as I know that information is protected,

On 2 Mar 2005 12:48:42 GMT, Koos van den Hout
<koos+newsposting@kzdoos.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Ow? I can imagine that the cell phone company doesn't want to give a
> map if I ask nicely, but with some simple AT commands I can make my
> phone show the current cell number and alert me when it changes. Add a
> gps unit, some logging software and I can map their cell numbers. I've
> been playing with this, see http://idefix.net/~koos/gsmgps.html

> In my country (the Netherlands) I can find the actual location by
> checking the register of antenna licenses.

However, T-Mobile, here Stateside, blocks the data for the local
cell's identity, as per a German ham who has an HP 6315 on T-Mobile
while he's here.

Go to Next message: jared: "Re: GSM Cell Density in Metropolitan Areas"
Go to Previous message: Bob Goudreau: "Re: New Monopoly in Dept Stores; Federated and May to Merge"
May be in reply to: enrico: "GSM Cell Density in Metropolitan Areas"