TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: GSM Cell Density in Metropolitan Areas

Re: GSM Cell Density in Metropolitan Areas

Koos van den Hout (koos+newsposting@kzdoos.xs4all.nl)
2 Mar 2005 12:48:42 GMT

enrico <enrico_groups@libero.it> wrote:

> What is the average (or range) value for GSM cell (i.e. base station,
> antenna, ..) density in metropolitan areas? (e.g. in cities like
> London, Paris, Rome.)

> Is there any publicly available information about the topic?

> Please note that I am *not* asking for actual base station location,
> as I know that information is protected,

Ow? I can imagine that the cell phone company doesn't want to give a
map if I ask nicely, but with some simple AT commands I can make my
phone show the current cell number and alert me when it changes. Add a
gps unit, some logging software and I can map their cell numbers. I've
been playing with this, see http://idefix.net/~koos/gsmgps.html

In my country (the Netherlands) I can find the actual location by
checking the register of antenna licenses.

Koos van den Hout, PGP keyid RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5 via keyservers
koos@kzdoos.xs4all.nl or DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 -?)
Fax +31-30-2817051 Camp Wireless, wireless Internet access /\\
http://idefix.net/~kos/ at campsites http://www.camp-wireless.org/ _\_V

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: New Monopoly in Dept Stores -- Federated and May Co to Merge"
Go to Previous message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Buyouts of AT&T, MCI Sign of Long Distance's Demise"
May be in reply to: enrico: "GSM Cell Density in Metropolitan Areas"