TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: British TV License (was America the Worst For Cell Rates and

Re: British TV License (was America the Worst For Cell Rates and

Scott Dorsey (kludge@panix.com)
31 Jan 2005 16:18:40 -0500

Mark Crispin <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Rob wrote:

>>> So, if I am in the UK with an NTSC TV set (or just a monitor)
>>> connected to a satellite receiver that receives a non-UK satellite
>>> service, I wouldn't have to pay the tax?

>> Yes you would. You own a TV set capable of receiving BBC. Regardless
>> of whether it's NTSC or otherwise it makes no difference these days
>> with modern TV sets.

> Please explain how an NTSC TV set in the UK is capable of receiving BBC.

> I wasn't aware that BBC was also broadcasting in system M. In case you
> weren't aware, NTSC TVs are system M by definition.

BBC-TV is available on the non-UK satellite services in NTSC. If your
satellite service didn't actually have any BBC programming, it might
be legal. But the issue is that if you are in the UK, and you have a
device capable of receiving BBC programming, you must pay a license.
Whether it is over the air or over some other service like satellite
or cable.

Likewise if you have an older NTSC set incapable of receiving
programmming over the air, connected to an NTSC VCR, that should not
require any license since it cannot be used to watch the BBC.

--scott

--

Go to Next message: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans"
Go to Previous message: Joseph: "Re: British TV License (was America the Worst For Cell Rates and"