TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Review: Microsoft Anti-Spyware Ineffective

Re: Review: Microsoft Anti-Spyware Ineffective

Barry Margolin (barmar@alum.mit.edu)
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:01:19 -0500

tom.horsley@att.net (Thomas A. Horsley) wrote:

>> I tested the programs on a Windows XP computer I borrowed from my
>> wife's cousin. The 3-year-old PC, a Gateway running Windows XP Home
>> Edition, was basically unusable.

> I wonder how he tested it? I accepted the windows update download of
> it, but none of the instructions mention the name of the program, and
> it doesn't show up in any menus that I've found, so somewhere on my
> computer there is a program installed by update that might be useful
> if I knew where it was and how to run it :-).

I was similarly confused. What I believe is going on is that it
doesn't actually install a program. Windows Update downloads it into
a temporary area and runs it itself, then deletes it. They're going
to make it show up in WU every month, so each time it shows up you'll
automatically run the latest version of it.

Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: AT&T Looks Beyond 'Number, Please'"
Go to Previous message: John McHarry: "Re: Radar Detectors"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Review: Microsoft Anti-Spyware Ineffective"