TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Review: Microsoft Anti-Spyware Ineffective

Re: Review: Microsoft Anti-Spyware Ineffective

Justin Time (a_user2000@yahoo.com)
24 Jan 2005 06:44:42 -0800

Has anyone really paid attention to the wording of the update notices
lately on the Windows Update site?

I went there last night from my home computer and looked to download
the latest security updates. I ended up not downloading any of them
as I couldn't tell what they were for. When the site just tells you
that you need to download this security fix to keep your computer
running properly and then doesn't even tell you what program or
programs the fix is for, well, it's absolutely stupid. Oh, the site
refers you to a KBxxxxxx but doesn't tell you what a KB is.

Is it any wonder the vast majority of home computer users don't update
their software? With such helpful messages from Microsoft everyone
should rush right out and download the latest fix described in a
knowledge base article stored on another website. And this from some
slow dial-up connection.

Rodgers Platt

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Under the *assumption* that Microsoft
probably knows best from a technical standpoint, I download every one
of the patches as soon as one of my computers tells me I should do
so. I do not think I have ever missed downloading a single patch, even
some that later had to be repaired by other patches. PAT]

Go to Next message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Radar Detectors"
Go to Previous message: Mark Crispin: "Re: Don't Allow Under-9s to Use a Mobile"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Review: Microsoft Anti-Spyware Ineffective"