TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: VOIP

Re: VOIP

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. (spamtrap100@comcast.net)
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:05:25 -0700

jim@giganews.com wrote:

> I'm considering VOIP for my home but realistically, how many phones
> can it support? I've read from 2 sites, 3 and 5 phones so I was
> hoping what your experience has been? Does it matter who the provider
> is to answer this question? I presume the phones are the same used as
> before voip.

Most VOIP Terminal Adapters (TAs) that I have seen will support
between 3-5 REN.

REN stands for ringer equivilence number. A REN of 1.0 is roughly
equal to the current needed to drive 1 mechanical bell ringer in an
old 500 style telephone. Modern electronic "chirp" ringers are in the
neighborhood of 0.3 REN, so driving multiple phones is usually not a
problem.

That said, I think someone here recently reported that their VOIP
service had lowered the max REN of their TA through a config
option. It apparently took a phone call to get it raised.

> Just in case, can you buy one base unit with multiple hand sets ?

Yes.

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: VOIP"
Go to Previous message: Dave VanHorn: "Re: VOIP"
May be in reply to: Don Nelsch: "VOIP"