TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: FAX vs VOIP

FAX vs VOIP

John McHarry (mcharryj@bellsouth.net)
Sat, 04 Dec 2004 00:58:56 GMT

This is really a reply to a question posted on a discussion of Lingo,
but the subject is really quite different from that of the original
thread.

I believe the issue with FAX over VOIP is that VOIP uses lossy
compression that does not treat FAX modulation gently. This tends to
be a problem over any compressed link. The workaround is to recognize
the intitial sniffing of a fax machine, demodulate the fax tones, send
the raw data, and remodulate at the far end. Since Group 3 FAX is
pretty standard, I don't see why only certain machines would be
compatible, but no vendor can test all of them, so I can see their
listing ones that are known compatible.

Go to Next message: jmeissen@aracnet.com: "Re: CA DMV Chief Backs Tax by Mile"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "OnStar Frequency of Use"
May be reply: Lisa Hancock: "Re: FAX vs VOIP"
May be reply: DevilsPGD: "Re: FAX vs VOIP"
May be reply: Lonewolf: "Re: FAX vs VOIP"
May be reply: Tim@Backhome.org: "Re: FAX vs VOIP"
May be reply: Dave Close: "Re: FAX vs VOIP"
May be reply: DevilsPGD: "Re: FAX vs VOIP"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page