TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: FAX vs VOIP

Re: FAX vs VOIP

Lisa Hancock (hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com)
4 Dec 2004 19:17:13 -0800

John McHarry <mcharryj@bellsouth.net> wrote

> I believe the issue with FAX over VOIP is that VOIP uses lossy
> compression that does not treat FAX modulation gently. This tends to
> be a problem over any compressed link.

For those who don't know, there are two types of data compression
techniques. One type preserves 100% of the original data; the other
"lossy" accepts some loss of accuracy for increased compression
efficiency. (Others can explain data compression better than I can.)

I still use dial-up for certain connections, and even if I had VOIP I
would still need to do so. I wonder if I even could.

While my arrangement is growing rare these days, using fax machines as
dial up is not. How do businesses that depend on VOIP use their fax
machines?

Go to Next message: Marcus Didius Falco: "Kazaa Offering Free VOIP calls"
Go to Previous message: Tom Betz: "Re: Spam Gets Religion"
May be in reply to: John McHarry: "FAX vs VOIP"