TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Cable Internet, was: Internet Without Landline?

Cable Internet, was: Internet Without Landline?

Danny Burstein (dannyb@panix.com)
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:37:22 UTC

In <telecom23.542.5@telecom-digest.org> bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) writes:

[ lots snipped ]

> 4) Some people need higher _uplink_ throughput, and/or more
> 'predictable' download speeds, even when a lot of their neighbors
> are "on-line".

In many (certainly, most certainly, not all) areas, you can, indeed,
purchase higher levels of speed and/or quality of service/reliability
levels from the local cableco. At a higher price, of course.

The big complaints come from people/businesses who sign up for a
standard (residential) service level and are shocked, shocked, they
don't get everything they wished for.

Personally I'm not at all comfortable with many of these distinctions,
but the entire high speed (dsl/cable) internet concept is only a few
years old. There's going to be a lot more shakeup, both pricing and
speedwise, (and in technology) in the near future.

dannyb@panix.com

Go to Next message: Jackie: "Home Phone Link in India"
Go to Previous message: (no name): "[tollfree-l] Access charges for local 8xx"
May be reply: w_tom: "Re: Cable Internet, was: Internet Without Landline?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page