TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: What Happened to Channel 1?

Re: What Happened to Channel 1?

Neal McLain (nmclain@annsgarden.com)
Mon, 01 Nov 2004 17:45:25 -0600

Stanley Cline <sc1-news@roamer1.org> wrote:

> As for the channel 4 issue, my guess as to why Cable One isn't using
> it now is that they used to use it for a premium channel such as HBO
> using negative traps (which remove the signal of a given channel or
> group of adjacent channels), and they moved HBO to another analog
> channel or to digital and left channel 4 idle because reusing it for
> something else would require visiting the homes of all current
> customers who don't have HBO to remove traps ...

Good point. I've known this to happen in other cable systems as well.

However, I still think that in the specific case at hand, the
Coffeyville TV station was probably the primary reason for not using
cable channel 4. Given that channel 4 is subject to interference from
a television station (even a weak one like W04EJ), it seems unlikely
that the cable company would have used that channel for an important
service like HBO or Showtime.

Neal McLain

Go to Next message: Fritz Whittington: "Re: Last Laugh! Our Weekend Auto Trip"
Go to Previous message: Gordon S. Hlavenka: "Re: Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence"
May be in reply to: Andrea: "What Happened to Channel 1?"