TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cybersquatter Update

Re: Cybersquatter Update

Gary Breuckman (gary@breuckman.com)
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 18:13:47 -0600

On 27 Oct 2004 22:45:48 GMT, Ed Clarke <clarke@cilia.org> wrote:

> Godaddy also has an "auto-renew" feature so that you don't
> inadvertently lose your domain name.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: So the Public Interest Registry *could*
> do the same thing if they felt like it; either 'renew' or put a short
> hold on a URL pending a final notice to the owner.

The registrar that I use, dotregistrar.com, does this. They put
expiring domains on a 30-day hold. If you want them back, it does
cost more than just the renewal would, but you can get them back, at
least for a while.

They also will auto-renew domains, if you wish that, and they send
renewal reminders by email starting about 30 days prior to expiration.

-- Gary Breuckman

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: That seems fair enough, and one does
not mind a small extra charge for that courtesy service, but PIR (the
Public Interest Registry, an ICANN thing) would probably tell you it
is more profitable to let the porn sites have it and share with them
whatever ransom can be extracted from the guy who lost the site. PAT]

Go to Next message: DevilsPGD: "Re: New Electronic Check Law Sinks 'Float'"
Go to Previous message: Marcus Didius Falco: "Delphi, XM Unveil Handheld Satellite"
May be in reply to: TELECOM Digest Editor: "Cybersquatter Update"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page