TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence

Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence

Matt (spammers@are.bad.com)
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:14:34 -0400

Hi,

Got a weird problem that I'm looking for a possible resolution
to. There is a fairly large farm with about a mile of electric fence
around the cattle area, with a pulsing electric fence. Apparently
this is a heavy duty pulser and is able to power 100 miles of fence.

Now ... about 500 feet - 1000 feet from the field where the
electric fence is a youth camp. On the camp is the office telephones,
caretaker, and a program director.

The phone line for the caretaker and ONE of the two office
lines experience a continual hum as well as a click, click, click,
click, click, every time the electric fence fires off. The program
director does not experience any known issue on his line, and the
other line in the office is fine. I find this very odd, since both of
the office lines come in (presumably) on the same cable?

Any thoughts? Verizon is kinda stumped on this issue, so I'm
trying to see if I can figure anything out to help them out. Does
this sound like a grounding issue? If so is it at the demarc box? Or
on a line some place? Why only one phone line and not the other?

As another side note, the electric fence runs about 500 - 600
feet beside the road, which is also where the telephone/electric poles
run (same side of the road).

~ Matt

Go to Next message: Lisa Minter: "Voice Over Internet Revolution Will Be Big but Quiet"
Go to Previous message: kansasman: "Re: FCC OKs Cingular, AT&T Wireless Merger"
May be reply: ranck@vt.edu: "Re: Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence"
May be reply: Tony P.: "Re: Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence"
May be reply: Carl Zwanzig: "Re: Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence"
May be reply: Gary Breuckman: "Re: Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence"
May be reply: Eric Tappert: "Re: Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence"
May be reply: David Clayton: "Re: Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence"
May be reply: Gordon S. Hlavenka: "Re: Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page