TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Last Laugh! Telecom New Zealand Tells Woman Her Name is Gay

Re: Last Laugh! Telecom New Zealand Tells Woman Her Name is Gay

mc (look@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address)
Wed, 2 May 2007 10:06:56 -0400

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: No, not 'political correctness' run
>> amok but an overabundance of spam/scam which makes email filters
>> necessary. This is a perfect example of why email/web site filters do
>> _not_ work as they should.

> My wife is a school teacher. I had hurt my back and I sent her an
> email describing the pain as "throbbing" which was immediately
> rejected by her system's spam filter.

> Some people who graduated "magna cum laude" have had their resumes
> rejected.

What this *really* is, is inept linguistics. Some people don't seem
to have the ability to look at their native language and ask
themselves whether a word has more than one use. When people with
tiny vocabularies start implementing "bad language filters," a lot of
good language gets filtered out.

I once encountered someone who had not comprehended that the phrase
"family jewels" could actually refer to heirloom jewelry ...

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Like the time I used the word
'niggardly' in this Digest and was promptly scolded for using
racist language. (That is an /a/ as the fifth letter from the left
and not an /e/) PAT]

Go to Next message: mc: "Re: Last Laugh! Telecom New Zealand Tells Woman Her Name is Gay"
Go to Previous message: KBSchmith: "Re: Reverse 911"
May be in reply to: Duetche Presse Agentur: "Last Laugh! Telecom New Zealand Tells Woman Her Name is Gay"