TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Judge Hits Vonage With Injuction; Stop Using Verizon Technology

Re: Judge Hits Vonage With Injuction; Stop Using Verizon Technology

T (nospam.kd1s@cox.nospam.net)
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 22:52:55 -0400

In article <telecom26.86.9@telecom-digest.org>, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
says:

> T wrote:

>> So it's the connection method is it? Far as I can recall, switches of
>> all sizes have been IP aware for quite some time now. My Vonage line
>> is in essence a VoIP phone connected to a real switch. Verizon and
>> that damned jury doesn't seem to understand that part.

> I don't think you can properly draw a conclusion from such a
> simplistic analysis.

> We still don't know exactly what the three infringed patents were.
> (If we had the patent numbers, we could look them up at the patent
> office.)

> In any event, whatever switchgear Vonage uses cannot be built with any
> patented technologies owned by Verizon. But they did, in three
> separate areas. Simple as that. To say the "jury didn't understand"
> without much more detailed information is premature.

In essence, Vonage is nothing but an extender. Oh, they authenticate
you via SIP, but otherwise you're hooking up to a real big iron switch
at the front end.

Go to Next message: John Levine: "Re: Judge Hits Vonage With Injuction; Stop Using Verizon Technology"
Go to Previous message: T: "Re: History of Wireless Networking"
May be in reply to: Peter Kaplan, Reuters News Wire: "Judge Hits Vonage With Injuction; Stop Using Verizon Technology"